By Alicia Philipp, president, Community Foundation for Greater Atlanta
The beginning of a new year brings the ritual of making resolutions for many, including myself. Beyond personal reflections, this year I offer these wishes for our region:
- That we may all learn to work together to face our region’s challenges. From quality education to better access to healthcare, let’s resolve to dedicate the needed time and resources to make all residents stronger.
- That we can focus on what we share in common, not what sets us apart. Coming off a contentious election year, my hope is that we move forward with the greater good in mind. And when we don’t share important views or experiences, I hope that we will commit to listening and learning from others.
- That we come together to make strides to address equity in our region. The opportunity gap for low income children remains too large and is not sustainable for a thriving community. We need smart thinking and strategic action to lift up those who need it most.
- That we will make a deliberate effort to consistently listen to news sources that are factual but, to us, offer a different viewpoint.
- That we will all continue to be as generous as we can to help those in need.
Best wishes for a prosperous 2017!