Earth Day is Sunday, April 22! Earth is our home and it’s important to protect and take care of it for future generations.
The Community Foundation is dedicated to being environmentally conscious and educating staff on how to keep it up. Here are some ways the Foundation has gone green:
- Instead of using plastic disposable water bottles, we use water cups that are compostable and made from renewable plant materials!
- Our human resources department works with MARTA to provide discounted rates for monthly passes so staff can share their commute and keep more cars off the road.
- The Community Foundation provides great branded mugs instead of disposable coffee cups, which help reduce waste.
- We’ve moved the annual donor letter from paper mailings to our Donor Portal, which saves paper.
- Most of our printers print double-sided as a default setting, which also reduces waste.
- Our building participates in recycling and our floor has multiple recycling stations. This also includes onsite electronic recycling – including battery disposal!
- Our office is painted with low VOC paint, which reduces the amount of “volatile organic compounds” that are released into the air.
- Community Foundation offices were fitted with carpet made from sustainable materials.
- Motion sensing lights are in each office and conference space, which save energy by shutting off when not in use.
- Our office is fitted with LED lighting, which reduces energy usage and lasts longer than traditional lighting.
Are you interested in going green? Here are a few tips:
- Invest in a refillable water bottle or mug for your beverages instead of using cups.
- Take public transportation or carpool with a friend or coworker.
- Turn off the water while you brush your teeth.
- Turn off/unplug electronic devices when they’re not in use.
- Switch to paperless billing, if possible.
- Print documents on the front and back of the paper, if possible.
Please remember to help take care of our Mother Earth and happy Earth Day!