General operating support provides unrestricted funding to help support and maintain an organization as it pursues its mission. This type of grant is flexible and gives the grantee the ability to use the funds where they are most appropriate.
Several of The Community Foundation's competitive grantmaking programs are focused on providing general operating support. These include the Metropolitan Atlanta Arts Fund, which provides grants to small and midsized arts organizations; the Atlanta AIDS Fund, which provides grants to HIV/AIDS-service organizations; and the Common Good Funds program, the Foundation's largest competitive grantmaking program.
Information for the Common Good Funds grant program is below. For information about Arts Fund, AIDS Fund and Local Funds grantmaking, visit the webpages for each program.
Common Good Funds
Common Good Funds grants are available to support an organization’s ongoing administrative and infrastructure costs and/or to maintain existing, effective programs that fit the general grant focus of the Foundation. Characteristics of successful applicants include that they will have a clear vision of the organization’s role in making a difference in the community, demonstrate effectiveness through the investment of time and personnel in measuring and planning for success, and have written strategic plans that cover two or more years, include goals and methods to measure effectiveness, and are used to form an annual work plan.
These grants are very competitive. Grants will range from $10,000 to $75,000 for each 12 month period and may be awarded for 12 or 24 months. Each grantee will be asked to identify organizational goals and to report on progress and challenges in either 12- or 24-month intervals.
In 2013, the Common Good Funds program will continue to focus on providing General Operating Support to eligible nonprofits and access to resources to increase Nonprofit Effectiveness.
Letter of Intent Instructions
Final Application Instructions
Cash Flow Worksheet Instructions
Cash Flow Worksheet Template
Board Information Form
Be sure to sign up for The Community Foundation's email alerts in order to receive updates on this program. Click here to receive news and updates from The Community Foundation.
2013 Grant Schedule
- April 30: Letter of Intent
- June 21: Final Applications due (by invitation only)
- Mid October: Grants Awarded
- Organizations submit Letters of Intent to Apply for Grant Funding
- Foundation staff reviews all Letters of Intent and invites approximately 30 organizations to submit Final Applications
- Invited organizations submit Final Applications
- Foundation staff reviews all Final Applications and selects finalists to receive site visits
- Foundation staff members conduct site visits
- Funding recommendations are made to the Foundation’s Board of Directors and grants are awarded
- Organizations receiving grants will be required to report in either 12- or 24-month intervals
Nonprofit organizations must meet certain requirements to be eligible to apply for a grant from the Common Good Funds. Click here to review requirements and activities not eligible for funding.