General operating support provides nonprofits with unrestricted funding to help support and maintain an organization as it pursues its mission. This type of grant is flexible and gives the grantee the ability to use the funds where they are most appropriate.
Several of the Community Foundation's competitive grantmaking programs are focused on providing general operating support. These include the Metropolitan Atlanta Arts Fund, which supports small and midsized arts organizations; the Atlanta AIDS Fund, which provides grants to HIV/AIDS-service organizations; and the Common Good Fund, the Foundation's unrestricted fund that focuses primarily on general operating support for nonprofit organizations.
Beginning in 2016, the Foundation is combining its various general operating support programs into one grant cycle. This will maximize the time and capacity of nonprofit applicants, allowing organizations to submit information once to be considered for funding.
General Operating Support 2016 Grant Cycle
General Operating Support (GOS) grants are available to support an organization’s ongoing administrative and infrastructure costs and/or to maintain existing, effective programs that are offered within the Foundation's 23-county service area. Characteristics of successful applicants include:
- A clear vision of the organization’s role in making a difference in the community
- Demonstrated effectiveness through the investment of time and personnel in measuring and planning for success
- Written strategic plans that cover two or more years, include goals and methods to measure effectiveness and are used to form an annual work plan.
These grants are very competitive. Grants will range from $10,000 to $75,000 for each 12 month period and may be awarded for 12 or 24 months. Each grantee will be asked to identify goals and to report on progress and challenges every in 12-month intervals. Orientation Session
2016 Grant Cycle Materials
On Tuesday, April 26, we hosted an online orientation session during which we reviewed the eligibility criteria for the General Operating Support grants and discussed the process for applying for a grant. Click here
to access a recording of the webinar. 2016 Grant Cycle Timeline
- By Thursday, May 5: Nonprofits complete their Organizational Profile and Common Grant Application
- By Wednesday, June 8: Foundation notifies nonprofits whether they are invited to continue forward in the grant process
- By Wednesday, June 29: Nonprofits invited to the next stage of the process submit their Grant Application Supplements and required attachments
- By Friday, July 29: Foundation notifies nonprofits whether they are moving to the site visit stage of the process
- August 8-26: Site visits are conducted
- Tuesday, October 11: Foundation notifies nonprofits of the status of their funding request
If you have questions about General Operating Support grants, please email us at email@example.com