The Community Foundation for Greater Atlanta strengthens its region by providing quality services to donors and innovative leadership on community issues. Reporting to the Director, Finance and Accounting, the Controller will be responsible for the oversight of finance and accounting operations of the Foundation and the development and execution of its strategic priorities. The Controller has functional responsibility over accounting, audit, budgeting, tax, and financial reporting.
Essential functions of Position:
- Oversee and monitor the finance and accounting operations of the Foundation.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and accounting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure necessary internal controls are in place and followed in all financial environments and technological applications and recommend improvements where needed.
- Actively coach and develop accounting team by identifying opportunities for professional development and providing feedback on an ongoing and annual basis.
- Provide direction and assistance to other departments regarding accounting and budgeting policies, procedures, and efficient control and utilization of financial resources.
- Develop operational workflows to meet the strategic initiatives of the organization
- Ensure timely and accurate month end and year end close process
- Prepare or direct the preparation of monthly and annual financial reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop and enhance key relationships throughout the Foundation and with Foundation initiative partners, supporting organizations, Board and Committee members, donors, and grantees.
- Compare the monthly operating budget to the actual results for all departments and programs to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Facilitate the quarterly and annual budget and forecast process with budget managers and senior leadership.
- Coordinate the annual audit including the timing and process of the auditors and the compilation of necessary information to complete the audit.
- Prepare or direct the preparation of all federal, state, and local tax and regulatory filings (including 990 and 990-T).
The Controller reports directly to the Director, Finance and Accounting.
The Controller will be evaluated on the ability to effectively perform the essential functions of the position; the ability to utilize the skills and qualifications described below; the ability to meet annual individual and team goals; and the ability to complete projects and assigned tasks in an accurate, cooperative, and timely manner.
- Ability to accurately complete detailed financial reports, calculate figures and amounts, analyze statistical and financial data.
- Ability to research and synthesize accounting and industry trends and developments
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage and motivate employees.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel), and the ability to effectively utilize proprietary software.
- Excellent ability to organize and prioritize daily work and multiple requests/assignments while managing long-term strategic projects.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills (listening, interpersonal, oral, and written).
- Proficient writing, editing and proofreading skills with the ability to gather and organize information appropriately
- A high degree of professionalism, confidence and flexibility that allows the incumbent to work collaboratively and effectively with stakeholders and colleagues of diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work well in a team environment. Ability to develop and maintain a good working relationship with the Foundation staff, donors, and nonprofit partners.
10+ years in public accounting or industry equivalent experience; 3-5 years Controller experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required. MBA preferred.
- CPA required.
Community Foundation for Greater Atlanta values diversity and inclusion; therefore we honor the diverse needs, strengths, voices, and backgrounds of all individuals in our regional community.