Position Reporting Structure: Executive Director
Overview: Achieve Atlanta’s vision is that all students educated in Atlanta Public Schools (APS) will complete post-secondary education and obtain the full benefits that a higher education provides. To reach our vision, Achieve Atlanta is working to harness a broad array of community resources to dramatically increase the number of Atlanta Public School students graduating from a post-secondary institution. Currently, Achieve Atlanta is:
- Partnering with college advising providers with proven results to serve APS students while they are in high school;
- Establishing strategic formal relationships with post-secondary institutions that can successfully serve APS graduates, especially those who are 1st generation and who come from underrepresented populations;
- Providing Achieve Atlanta scholarships to students to eliminate financial barriers; and
- Developing a plan to mobilize broad community support by leveraging data to accelerate collaborations that further college access, persistence, and completion in Atlanta.
Through these actions, Achieve Atlanta will help address the financial and social barriers students face in accessing and persisting through post-secondary education and help to:
- Enhance individual students’ ability to realize their own potential, especially for those traditionally underrepresented in post-secondary education;
- Support APS in continuing to institutionalize a culture that raises awareness of and encourages the pursuit of post-secondary education; and
- Create an ecosystem in Atlanta that ensures college access and persistence for all students
Ultimately, Achieve Atlanta will be part of a system that transforms the lives of students, their families, and the city of Atlanta by creating a highly educated and skilled population and, as a result, address the lack of economic upward mobility and income inequality in our city. Achieve Atlanta has set a goal to double the number of APS graduates completing a post-secondary degree or credential by 2025.
Organizational Culture: Achieve Atlanta is a values-driven organization and each team member grounds his/her work in the following core values:
- Unwavering Belief: Belief in what’s possible–for our students and the school community that surrounds them– is the inspiration and fuel for everything we do.
- Champion for Students: Our belief is backed by action. We never give up on students, and accept the charge to do whatever it takes to remove the barriers they face.
- Expectation of Excellence: We expect excellence…from ourselves and from our community of stakeholders. This expectation shapes our ambition and sets our standard for execution day in and day out.
- Intentional Collaboration: We don’t presume to have all the answers. We’re deliberate in our effort to tap the experience and knowledge of others as we work toward sustainable change.
- Continuous Innovation: We understand that to get different results we have to try new things. It’s important we always remain driven, humble, and nimble enough to pursue promising ideas.
Position Overview: The Executive Assistant will provide administrative and secretarial support for the Executive Director and occasional support for the Leadership Team. In addition to typing, filing, and scheduling, he/she will perform duties such as financial record keeping; managing events, meetings, and conference logistics; obtaining supplies; coordinating direct mailings; and working on special projects. He/she will also answer non-routine correspondence and assemble highly confidential and sensitive information. This position deals with a diverse group of important external callers and visitors as well as internal contacts at all levels of the organization. Independent judgment is required to plan, prioritize and organize a diversified workload, as well as to recommend changes in office practices or procedures. 3
This position also provides an opportunity for individuals to gain an in-depth understanding of all aspects of Achieve Atlanta and to understand the inner workings of a dynamic nonprofit.
Detailed Job Responsibilities:
Administrative Responsibilities – Executive Director and Leadership Team
- Provide sound administrative support for the Executive Director and Leadership Team, including scheduling meetings and conference calls among internal staff members and external stakeholders, managing expenses and arranging travel
- Create and maintain a strategic daily and weekly schedule that maximizes the Executive Director and Leadership Team’s time, energy and assets
- Accurately and quickly assess priorities among the many moving items facing the Executive Director and Leadership TeamProactively and reactively support the Executive Director and Leadership Team’s sustainable success through the structures above
- Complete and submit weekly expense reports for invoices and corporate card expenses with accuracy and timeliness
Operations and Logistics
- Prepare the Executive Director and other leaders for internal and external meetings by gathering necessary documents, details, and equipment to meet objectives for each meeting
- Plan and execute travel bookings, accommodations, and on-the-ground transportation to maximize the Executive Director and Leadership Team’s time
- Manage the cadence of and preparation for all internal and external events and meetings, including coordinating materials for Leadership Team and supporting all logistical components of board meetings
- Support the planning and execution of various events, including booking venues, managing RSVPs, coordinating meals, purchasing materials and other duties as necessary
Communication and Outreach
- Support outreach to Achieve Atlanta Scholars through phone calls and emails, which may include explaining processes for submitting required documentation and answering questions about scholarship eligibility
- Manage correspondence and discrete projects related to the Executive Director and Leadership team, both written and orally
Experience & Competencies
The Executive Assistant must be a positive, energetic, and proactive strategic thinker who is thoroughly committed to Achieve Atlanta’s strategy and mission. Additionally, experience within a start-up / entrepreneurial environment will be beneficial given Achieve Atlanta’s stage in development. The ideal candidate will have the following experience and competencies:
- Bachelor’s Degree or Associate’s Degree
- Experience executing on multiple complex projects and achieving exceptional results
- Demonstrated experience providing extreme attention to detail
- Ability to effectively manage workstreams both laterally and upwards
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong skill with Microsoft Office products
- Deeply invested in and inspired by Achieve Atlanta’s mission and core values
- Belief and understanding that the work that we do has an extraordinary impact on the college success of APS students and alumni
- Experience providing logistical support to large-scale events (procuring venue, catering services, materials preparation, etc.)
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary and health, dental, and retirement benefits.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject line title: “AA Executive Assistant Application”