Scholar Support Program Manager, Achieve Atlanta
Achieve Atlanta is seeking a Scholar Support Manager who will help perspective and current Scholars navigate the complex enrollment and persistence challenges in order to support their goals of college completion. This is a new role for the organization, created to ensure we have staff who can provide direct support to our Scholars when needed either by connecting them to our college or nonprofit partners and/or providing individual coaching and advising. The Scholar Support Manager will serve as our “eyes and ears” on the ground, which will also help inform organizational practices and policies to ensure we stay true to our mission.
Essential Functions of Position:
- Under the direction of the Director of Scholarship and Financial Wellness, manages Scholar outreach efforts to meet Achieve Atlanta scholarship uptake and Scholar persistence targets
- Coaches Scholars/potential Scholars on college-going and scholarship tasks including details of scholarship policies and practices, and, when relevant, connects Scholars to specific on-campus resources and/or coaches
- Responds to student inquiries through email, text messages, and phone calls
- Provides outreach and case management to potential/current Achieve Atlanta Scholars during their application/renewal process to support college enrollment, persistence and completion
- Collaborates with coaches and partners when needed to support student enrollment or persistence
- Develops and maintains outreach manual including common issues and resolutions, and documentation rules
- Manages scholarship appeal process (solicits all documents, analyzes appeals, makes initial recommendation, maintains reporting)
- Supports Director of Scholarship and Financial Wellness in delivering training on scholarship application, renewal and other processes, as needed
- Assists with design of scholarship components such as application and survey development and Scholar communications
- Participates in college access and college success meetings and events under the direction of the VP, College Success or VP, College Access (e.g., meetings with college success partners; scholarship presentations to high schools, etc.)
- Provides administrative and logistical support to VP, College Access and Director of Scholarship and Financial Wellness
The Scholar Support Manager will report to the Director of Scholarship & Financial Wellness and will work closely with all team members across the college access, affordability, and success pipeline.
Commitment and Collaboration
- Appreciation for nuance and ability to communicate with and anticipate the perspectives of a variety of stakeholders including students, parents, college partners, high school staff, etc., while demonstrating patience, diplomacy, and compassion
- Ability to:
- connect and build trusting relationships with students and parents in authentic ways;
- work across lines of difference, and influence through relationships rather than positional authority;
- diagnose challenges with a commitment to identifying root causes; an
- proactively connect students to supports and/or provide direct coaching and advising when needed.
- Ability to productively confront issues and communicate difficult messages in line with organization values and respect for individual students and their unique situations;
- Demonstrated cultural competence, humility, and awareness of how power, privilege, and their identities impact how they engage with others
- A customer service mindset and desire to advocate on behalf of students;
- Experience using a database, ideally Salesforce, to track information;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Comfort with change and ambiguity and ability to set direction in the midst of it;
- Commitment to learning and continuous improvement; and
- Passion for Achieve Atlanta’s mission and values
- 3-5 years of experience working with first-generation college and/or low-income high school or college students to increase college enrollment and/or persistence
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Achieve Atlanta is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of qualifications. Achieve Atlanta policy prohibits unlawful discrimination in any employment decision based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.