Did you know that 20% of the world’s oxygen comes from the Amazon rainforest? That area has seen nearly 73,000 wildfires this year, an unprecedented number that has devastated the ecosystem. As the world’s largest rainforest, these wildfires are not just an ecological disaster – the health implications for human beings will be far-reaching and lasting.
Many of our donors want to help. Below is a list of organizations working to protect the rainforest. For more information or to make a grant, please contact your philanthropic officer.
- Amazon Watch – protects the rainforest, defends indigenous rights and works to address climate change.
- Amazon Conservation Team – works to fight climate change, protect the Amazon and empower indigenous peoples.
- Rainforest Action Network – protects the Amazonian rainforest.
- Rainforest Trust – buys land in the rainforest.
- The World Wide Fund for Nature – works to protect the countless species in the Amazon and around the world.